How to Pick the Right Massage Therapist Training Program near Smith River California
Selecting the best massage therapy school near Smith River CA is a critical first step toward launching a fulfilling new career as a massage therapist. As you have no doubt concluded, who wouldn’t enjoy working in a profession where the primary goal is to help patients feel and function better? Massage therapists can work in a wide range of locations, such as medical clinics, health spas, hospitals and alternative care facilities. But before beginning a career in this specialty of holistic healthcare, obtaining the proper training and licensing is a must. And keep in mind that massage therapist schools are not all the same. When evaluating your options, it’s vital that you look at all facets of the schools you are reviewing and not make your decision based solely on location or cost of tuition. Following are some fundamental tips that you need to incorporate into your due diligence process when selecting a massage therapist school.
What is a Massage Therapist?
As mentioned in the introduction, massage therapy is a holistic form of healthcare in Smith River CA that helps people feel and function better. The massage therapist manipulates skin, muscles and tissue to reduce stress and relieve tension and pain in their patients. Swedish, or Classic Massage, is the type of massage that most people think of when discussing massage therapy, and most massage therapy schools teach it as their primary form of massage. However, there are many other types of massage that programs may or may not include within their course of instruction. Following are just a few examples.
- Neuromuscular Therapy Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Sports Massage
- Shiatsu Massage
- Thai Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
Professionals that work in massage therapy in Smith River CA should be referred to as massage therapists. From time to time one may hear them called a masseuse or a masseur, which refers to a female or a male massage practitioner. However, these terms generally carry a negative connotation among the general public and professionals alike and should be avoided.
Massage Therapist Training Requirements
Most schools offering massage therapy require that the enrollee have a high school diploma or its equivalent to qualify. Programs can range in length from several months for a Certificate or a Diploma to as long as two years for an Associate’s Degree. The lengths of the programs will also vary by State based on the number of hours required for licensing. Another factor that may also influence the program length is whether classes are offered in Smith River CA during the day or in the evening. Also, an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy may have general education requirements and are often transferable into a related Bachelor’s Degree Program. Once you have received your Certificate or Degree, the education does not end there. The amount and type of continuing education you will need to complete will depend on the State where you are licensed. Some states require both a certain number of hours of continuing education as well as specific education in subjects such as HIPAA compliance or ethics.
Massage Therapist Licensing
Once you have graduated from an accredited massage therapy school, you will then need to become licensed in the State where you will be practicing. The Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), is a test controlled and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and is required by most States as part of the licensing process. Some States have their own or additional exams, so check with your State prior to enrolling in a massage therapy program. If you do not pass the MBLEx in the first attempt, you can take it again after 30 days but must pay an additional exam fee. Once licensed, you will need to maintain it in most states, which means paying a renewal fee and satisfying renewal requirements. As previously mentioned, renewal typically requires a certain number of hours of continuing education be completed. And if you should move to another State, you will need to get licensed in that new State as well. Every State regulates massage therapy differently, so it is not safe to assume that you will automatically qualify for licensing. Check with your new State before moving to confirm that you meet the requirements to legally practice there.
Questions to Ask Massage Therapy Courses
Before you choose a massage therapist school, there are some important questions that you need to ask about the programs you are considering. As previously mentioned, the location of the school is important, particularly if you will be commuting to classes from Smith River CA. And of course the total cost, including tuition, books and all training materials will also be an important factor. But beyond those basic qualifications, following are some questions you should ask so that you have all of the facts before selecting a massage therapist degree program.
- Is the School Accredited? Accreditation may be required for licensing as well as student loans or financial aid. It also helps to ensure that the program meets acceptable levels of quality. Some Smith River CA employers also prefer job candidates from accredited schools.
- Does their Curriculum Comply with EALP Standards? Entry-Level Analysis Project (EALP) standards were created by an association of massage organizations to define minimum standards for preparing massage school graduates for entry-level professional work.
- What Massage Therapy Programs are Available? Find out if the type of program you are interested in is available, such as an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy. Also, if you need to attend evening classes near Smith River CA make sure that they are offered as well.
- What Types of Massage Therapy are Taught? As previously mentioned, most massage therapy schools teach Swedish Massage. However, the better programs include multiple types of massage therapy. Make sure that the program you choose includes those you are most interested in.
- Is Financial Aid Available? To qualify for federal financial aid or a student loan, the school will need to be accredited by a national accrediting organization. Find out from the schools you are considering what they offer in aid or if they assist students in obtaining funding from other sources.
- How Long has the School Existed? One indication that a school provides a quality education is longevity. However, all schools had to start from day one, and many fine schools are relatively new. So use this as one of several qualifications when comparing schools.
- Does the School have a Job Placement Program? Find out if the schools have job placement programs and what their placement rates are. Ask if they assist with such skills as how to interview for a position and how to prepare a resume.
- Is Plenty of Hands-On Training Provided? This includes classroom training as well as placement in internship programs. The best massage therapy schools make sure that students have plenty of time to practice what they learn so they can develop their skills and be corrected when necessary.
- What is the Background of the Faculty? Find out what the experience and credentials are of the teaching faculty. Speaking with schools’ faculty in person can also provide valuable information. Before applying, arrange to take a tour of the school and talk with staff members and students if permissible. Schools may also have Open House events for prospective students.
Massage Therapy Night Classes Smith River CA
Good luck as you embark on your journey to begin a career as a professional massage therapist. As with all things worth achieving, it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed. You originally came to this website because of your interest in Massage Therapy Night Classes and wanting to get more information on the topic Licensed Massage Therapist Training. However, by following the suggestions contained within this article, you will have an excellent opportunity for success by choosing the right massage therapy training program. And with the right education you will soon become a professional massage therapist servicing the Smith River California area.
Other Massage Therapy Locations in California
Smith River, California
Smith River (formerly, Smith River Corners, Smith's River Valley, Smiths River, and Smith's River) (Tolowa: kaa-nvsh, natlh-mii~-nee-dash ) is a census-designated place in Del Norte County, California, United States, at the very northwestern corner of the state near the border with Oregon. It is located 12 miles (19 km) north-northeast of Crescent City, 3 miles (4.8 km) east of the mouth of the Smith River, at an elevation of 52 feet (16 m). As of 2010, the population was 866. The ZIP Code is 95567. Its area code is 707. It is bordered by the Smith River National Recreation Area. Smith River is the headquarters of the Tolowa Dee-ni' Nation, a federally recognized tribe of Tolowa people.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Smith River had a population of 866. The population density was 217.3 people per square mile (83.9/km²). The racial makeup of Smith River was 528 (61.0%) White, 1 (0.1%) African American, 59 (6.8%) Native American, 5 (0.6%) Asian, 0 (0.0%) Pacific Islander, 234 (27.0%) from other races, and 39 (4.5%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 293 persons (33.8%).
There were 315 households, out of which 127 (40.3%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 160 (50.8%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 44 (14.0%) had a female householder with no husband present, 18 (5.7%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 22 (7.0%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 3 (1.0%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 76 households (24.1%) were made up of individuals and 40 (12.7%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.75. There were 222 families (70.5% of all households); the average family size was 3.23.
Business Results 1 - 10 of 4