How to Select the Best Massage Therapist Training Program near Bluffton Arkansas
Enrolling in the best massage therapist school near Bluffton AR is a critical first step toward starting a fulfilling new career as a massage therapist. After all, who wouldn’t want to work in a profession where the sole purpose is to help people function and feel better? Massage therapists are employed in a wide variety of settings, such as hospitals, day spas, health clubs and even aboard cruise ships! But before starting a career in this specialty of alternative medicine, receiving the proper training and licensing is a must. And remember that massage therapist schools are not all alike. When evaluating your options, it’s important that you look at all facets of the schools you are reviewing and not just the cost or convenience of the locations. Following are a few fundamental tips that you need to incorporate into your due diligence process when choosing a massage therapy school.
What is a Massage Therapist?
As mentioned in the introduction, massage therapy is a holistic form of healthcare in Bluffton AR that helps people feel and function better. The massage therapist manipulates skin, muscles and tissue to reduce stress and relieve tension and pain in their patients. Swedish, or Classic Massage, is the type of massage that most people think of when discussing massage therapy, and most massage therapy schools teach it as their primary form of massage. However, there are many other types of massage that programs may or may not include within their course of instruction. Following are just a few examples.
- Neuromuscular Therapy Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Sports Massage
- Shiatsu Massage
- Thai Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
Professionals that work in massage therapy in Bluffton AR should be referred to as massage therapists. From time to time one may hear them called a masseuse or a masseur, which refers to a female or a male massage practitioner. However, these terms generally carry a negative connotation among the general public and professionals alike and should be avoided.
Massage Therapist Training Requirements
Most schools offering massage therapy require that the enrollee have a high school diploma or its equivalent to qualify. Programs can range in length from several months for a Certificate or a Diploma to as long as two years for an Associate’s Degree. The lengths of the programs will also vary by State based on the number of hours required for licensing. Another factor that may also influence the program length is whether classes are offered in Bluffton AR during the day or in the evening. Also, an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy may have general education requirements and are often transferable into a related Bachelor’s Degree Program. Once you have received your Certificate or Degree, the education does not end there. The amount and type of continuing education you will need to complete will depend on the State where you are licensed. Some states require both a certain number of hours of continuing education as well as specific education in subjects such as HIPAA compliance or ethics.
Massage Therapist Licensing
Once you have graduated from an accredited massage therapy school, you will then need to become licensed in the State where you will be practicing. The Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), is a test controlled and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and is required by most States as part of the licensing process. Some States have their own or additional exams, so check with your State prior to enrolling in a massage therapy program. If you do not pass the MBLEx in the first attempt, you can take it again after 30 days but must pay an additional exam fee. Once licensed, you will need to maintain it in most states, which means paying a renewal fee and satisfying renewal requirements. As previously mentioned, renewal typically requires a certain number of hours of continuing education be completed. And if you should move to another State, you will need to get licensed in that new State as well. Every State regulates massage therapy differently, so it is not safe to assume that you will automatically qualify for licensing. Check with your new State before moving to confirm that you meet the requirements to legally practice there.
Questions to Ask Massage Therapist Courses
Before you enroll in a massage therapist program, there are some important questions that you need to ask about the programs you are considering. As previously mentioned, the location of the school is important, particularly if you will be commuting to classes from Bluffton AR. And of course the total cost, including tuition, books and all training materials will also be an important factor. But beyond those basic qualifications, following are some questions you should ask so that you have all of the facts before choosing a massage therapy training program.
- Is the School Accredited? Accreditation may be required for licensing as well as student loans or financial aid. It also helps to ensure that the program meets acceptable levels of quality. Some Bluffton AR employers also prefer job candidates from accredited schools.
- Does their Curriculum Comply with EALP Standards? Entry-Level Analysis Project (EALP) standards were created by an association of massage organizations to define minimum standards for preparing massage school graduates for entry-level professional work.
- What Massage Therapy Programs are Available? Find out if the type of program you are interested in is available, such as an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy. Also, if you need to attend evening classes near Bluffton AR make sure that they are offered as well.
- What Types of Massage Therapy are Taught? As previously mentioned, most massage therapy schools teach Swedish Massage. However, the better programs include multiple types of massage therapy. Make sure that the program you choose includes those you are most interested in.
- Is Financial Aid Available? To qualify for federal financial aid or a student loan, the school will need to be accredited by a national accrediting organization. Find out from the schools you are considering what they offer in aid or if they assist students in obtaining funding from other sources.
- How Long has the School Existed? One indication that a school provides a quality education is longevity. However, all schools had to start from day one, and many fine schools are relatively new. So use this as one of several qualifications when comparing schools.
- Does the School have a Job Placement Program? Find out if the schools have job placement programs and what their placement rates are. Ask if they assist with such skills as how to interview for a position and how to prepare a resume.
- Is Plenty of Hands-On Training Provided? This includes classroom training as well as placement in internship programs. The best massage therapy schools make sure that students have plenty of time to practice what they learn so they can develop their skills and be corrected when necessary.
- What is the Background of the Faculty? Find out what the experience and credentials are of the teaching faculty. Speaking with schools’ faculty in person can also provide valuable information. Before applying, arrange to take a tour of the school and talk with staff members and students if permissible. Schools may also have Open House events for prospective students.
Accredited Local Massage Therapy Classes Bluffton AR
Good luck as you embark on your journey to begin a career as a professional massage therapist. As with all things worth achieving, it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed. You originally came to this website because of your interest in Accredited Local Massage Therapy Classes and wanting to get more information on the topic Massage Therapy Classes Cost. However, by following the suggestions contained within this article, you will have an excellent opportunity for success by choosing the right massage therapy training course. And with the right education you will soon become a professional massage therapist servicing the Bluffton Arkansas area.
Other Massage Therapy Locations in Arkansas
Arkansas Highway 28
AR 28 begins from OK 128 near Bates and travels east to AR 80 in Hon. A concurrency[disputed – discuss] is then formed with US 71 from Waldron south to Needmore. Heading east, the route meets AR 307 at Bluffton and again further east at Briggsville, AR 28 meets and concurs with AR 27 at Rover. The route continues east to AR 60 in Plainview and a concurrence with AR 7 at Ola where it crosses AR 10 and heads northeast to AR 247/Centerville and a concurrence[disputed – discuss] west with AR 154. The route arrows northeast to Dardanelle, where it terminates.
Business Results 1 - 10 of 2
Bing: Arkansas Massage Therapy Schools Search results
Types of Strokes in Massage Therapy - Study.com
This activity will help assess your knowledge of the various types of massage therapy strokes in a Swedish massage routine. Directions Determine whether the following statements are true or false.
State Regulations | AMTA - American Massage Therapy Association
Find information about massage therapy regulations by state and massage therapy licenses and licensing requirements. ... Arkansas. enacted 1951. California. enacted 2008. Colorado. enacted 2008. Connecticut. enacted 1993. Delaware. ... massage students and schools, AMTA invests membership dollars in advocacy and promotion of the health benefits ...
National Rehabilitation Awareness Week: Fun Facts about Therapy
The demand for physical therapy increased in the late 1960s and 1970s. Schools could not graduate PTs fast enough during this time, so the career of physical therapy assistant was created. Occupational Therapy Fun Facts. Occupational therapy techniques date back farther than PT.
31-9011.00 - Massage Therapists - O*NET OnLine
O*NET OnLine provides detailed descriptions of the world-of-work for use by job seekers, workforce development and HR professionals, students, developers, researchers, and more. Individuals can find, search, or browse across 900+ occupations based on their goals and needs. Comprehensive reports include occupation requirements, worker characteristics, and available training, education, and job ...
Microsoft takes the gloves off as it battles Sony for its Activision ...
Microsoft pleaded for its deal on the day of the Phase 2 decision last month, but now the gloves are well and truly off. Microsoft describes the CMA’s concerns as “misplaced” and says that ...
Lyft wants a free ride from California’s richest | Financial Times
The results of this were catastrophic, particularly for schools: in the following two decades, California dropped from fifth in the nation for per-student funding to 47th.
NFL News | Latest NFL Football News | NFL.com
The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.
Find Jobs in Germany: Job Search - Expatica Germany
Browse our listings to find jobs in Germany for expats, including jobs for English speakers or those in your native language.
Accredited Massage Therapy Schools Near Me - LMT Programs
Accredited schools have financial aid assistance for students who qualify. "Massage therapy students will take courses in kinesiology, which is the study of motion and mechanics of the human body; pathology, history of massage, laws and regulations ..., different types of massage such as Swedish, hot stone, sports, deep tissue, prenatal, and more.
Massage Therapy Arkansas Department of Health
The Arkansas Department of Health regulates Massage Therapy for the protection of public welfare in the mission of protecting public health. Massage Therapy is a health care service that treats soft tissues: skin, fascia, and muscles; as well as their dysfunctions for therapeutic purposes of establishing and maintaining good physical condition ...