How to Choose the Right Massage Therapy Training Course near Antoine Arkansas
Selecting the best massage therapy school near Antoine AR is a critical first step toward beginning a rewarding first or second career in massage therapy. After all, who wouldn’t enjoy working in a profession where the primary goal is to help patients function and feel better? Massage therapists are employed in a wide variety of settings, including medical clinics, health spas, hospitals and alternative care facilities. However prior to starting a career in this specialty of holistic healthcare, obtaining the right training and licensing is a must. And keep in mind that massage therapist schools are not all alike. When evaluating your options, it’s essential that you research all facets of the schools you are considering and not just the cost or convenience of the locations. Following are some fundamental tips that you need to include in your due diligence process when selecting a massage therapy school.
What is a Massage Therapist?
As mentioned in the introduction, massage therapy is a holistic form of healthcare in Antoine AR that helps people feel and function better. The massage therapist manipulates skin, muscles and tissue to reduce stress and relieve tension and pain in their patients. Swedish, or Classic Massage, is the type of massage that most people think of when discussing massage therapy, and most massage therapy schools teach it as their primary form of massage. However, there are many other types of massage that programs may or may not include within their course of instruction. Following are just a few examples.
- Neuromuscular Therapy Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Sports Massage
- Shiatsu Massage
- Thai Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
Professionals that work in massage therapy in Antoine AR should be referred to as massage therapists. From time to time one may hear them called a masseuse or a masseur, which refers to a female or a male massage practitioner. However, these terms generally carry a negative connotation among the general public and professionals alike and should be avoided.
Click Here to Get Free Information on Massage Therapy Schools Near You!
Massage Therapy Education Requirements
Most schools offering massage therapy require that the enrollee have a high school diploma or its equivalent to qualify. Programs can range in length from several months for a Certificate or a Diploma to as long as two years for an Associate’s Degree. The lengths of the programs will also vary by State based on the number of hours required for licensing. Another factor that may also influence the program length is whether classes are offered in Antoine AR during the day or in the evening. Also, an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy may have general education requirements and are often transferable into a related Bachelor’s Degree Program. Once you have received your Certificate or Degree, the education does not end there. The amount and type of continuing education you will need to complete will depend on the State where you are licensed. Some states require both a certain number of hours of continuing education as well as specific education in subjects such as HIPAA compliance or ethics.
Massage Therapist Licensing
Once you have graduated from an accredited massage therapy school, you will then need to become licensed in the State where you will be practicing. The Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), is a test controlled and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and is required by most States as part of the licensing process. Some States have their own or additional exams, so check with your State prior to enrolling in a massage therapy program. If you do not pass the MBLEx in the first attempt, you can take it again after 30 days but must pay an additional exam fee. Once licensed, you will need to maintain it in most states, which means paying a renewal fee and satisfying renewal requirements. As previously mentioned, renewal typically requires a certain number of hours of continuing education be completed. And if you should move to another State, you will need to get licensed in that new State as well. Every State regulates massage therapy differently, so it is not safe to assume that you will automatically qualify for licensing. Check with your new State before moving to confirm that you meet the requirements to legally practice there.
What to Ask Massage Therapy Schools
Before you enroll in a massage therapy school, there are some important questions that you need to ask about the programs you are considering. As previously mentioned, the location of the school is important, particularly if you will be commuting to classes from Antoine AR. And of course the total cost, including tuition, books and all training materials will also be an important factor. But beyond those basic qualifications, following are some questions you should ask so that you have all of the facts before choosing a massage therapist training program.
- Is the School Accredited? Accreditation may be required for licensing as well as student loans or financial aid. It also helps to ensure that the program meets acceptable levels of quality. Some Antoine AR employers also prefer job candidates from accredited schools.
- Does their Curriculum Comply with EALP Standards? Entry-Level Analysis Project (EALP) standards were created by an association of massage organizations to define minimum standards for preparing massage school graduates for entry-level professional work.
- What Massage Therapy Programs are Available? Find out if the type of program you are interested in is available, such as an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy. Also, if you need to attend evening classes near Antoine AR make sure that they are offered as well.
- What Types of Massage Therapy are Taught? As previously mentioned, most massage therapy schools teach Swedish Massage. However, the better programs include multiple types of massage therapy. Make sure that the program you choose includes those you are most interested in.
- Is Financial Aid Available? To qualify for federal financial aid or a student loan, the school will need to be accredited by a national accrediting organization. Find out from the schools you are considering what they offer in aid or if they assist students in obtaining funding from other sources.
- How Long has the School Existed? One indication that a school provides a quality education is longevity. However, all schools had to start from day one, and many fine schools are relatively new. So use this as one of several qualifications when comparing schools.
- Does the School have a Job Placement Program? Find out if the schools have job placement programs and what their placement rates are. Ask if they assist with such skills as how to interview for a position and how to prepare a resume.
- Is Plenty of Hands-On Training Provided? This includes classroom training as well as placement in internship programs. The best massage therapy schools make sure that students have plenty of time to practice what they learn so they can develop their skills and be corrected when necessary.
- What is the Background of the Faculty? Find out what the experience and credentials are of the teaching faculty. Speaking with schools’ faculty in person can also provide valuable information. Before applying, arrange to take a tour of the school and talk with staff members and students if permissible. Schools may also have Open House events for prospective students.
Certified Massage Therapist Training Antoine AR
Good luck as you embark on your journey to begin a career as a professional massage therapist. As with all things worth achieving, it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed. You originally came to this website because of your interest in Certified Massage Therapist Training and wanting to get more information on the topic Massage Therapst Courses Near Me. However, by following the suggestions contained within this article, you will have an excellent opportunity for success by enrolling in the right massage therapist training program. And with the right education you will soon become a professional massage therapist servicing the Antoine Arkansas area.
Other Massage Therapy Locations in Arkansas
The town of Antoine began as a stopping point on the old Southwest Trail to Texas in the early 19th century. It was named for a French trapper who was found dead at his camp along the road (the site of the present town cemetery). The only identification found on the man was his first name, "Antoine". He was buried on the hill by the river and the gravesite became a landmark for travelers. Eventually, the name was given to the river and to the town that grew up beside it. Antoine's grave is located within the bounds of the town cemetery, although the marker has disappeared over time. Antoine is located on State Highway 26 between Murfreesboro and Arkadelphia in the southeastern section of Pike County. Antoine was one of the very first settlements in what is now Pike County. It had characteristics of what our forefathers were seeking - rich level farmland and located on the bank of the Antoine River, giving them an adequate supply of water. To the north is an elevated mountain range ideal for trapping.
The town did not suffer much disaster during the Civil War, even though Union Soldiers were located in the area. The only incident recalled was about two young Antoine boys whose father was away in the Confederate Army. Being the only men at home they brought corn into Antoine to the gristmill for their mother. As they were leaving they were seized by the Yankee soldiers, their meal taken and the boys hanged from a large chinquapin tree just north of the old John Canter Home.
By 1890 the town had sprung up and had a post office, a bank, a church, school, cotton gin, gristmill, bottling works, sawmill, blacksmith shop, two hotels, drug store, hardware, billiard and pool hall, cafe, doctor's office, city hall, and several merchandise stores. During this time, railroad connections were established with Gurdon to the south, Amity to the north, and Delight to the west. The historic railroad trestle over the Antoine River was built in 1908 and remains in use today. The first church house in Antoine was Union Church located where the Methodist Church now stands. Brooks Stell of Delight organized the Church of Christ which was the second church to form. When he held a meeting in the Union Church building in 1908, the response was so great that he continued the meeting and moved his followers to the old Seven-Up school house across the wolf Creek, near the Joe Thomas home. About this time there was being erected a new two story brick school house, and when it was completed the congregation bought the little wood frame school for their meeting place. It was located in the vicinity of where Guy Howell's home now stands. The present church building was erected in 1930. The Methodists continued on in the old Union building and later built a beautiful brick building. Sometime later the Baptist Church was organized.