How to Select the Best Massage Therapist Degree Program near Grady Alabama
Selecting the right massage therapist school near Grady AL is an important first step toward beginning a fulfilling new career in massage therapy. As you have no doubt concluded, who wouldn’t enjoy working in a profession where the sole purpose is to help people feel and function better? Massage therapists can work in a wide variety of settings, such as medical clinics, health spas, hospitals and alternative care facilities. However prior to beginning a career in this specialty of alternative medicine, obtaining the proper training and licensing is a must. And remember that massage therapist schools are not all alike. When making your evaluations, it’s essential that you look at all aspects of the schools you are reviewing and not make your decision based solely on location or cost of tuition. Following are a few fundamental tips that you should include in your due diligence process when selecting a massage therapist school.
What is Massage Therapy?
As mentioned in the introduction, massage therapy is a holistic form of healthcare in Grady AL that helps people feel and function better. The massage therapist manipulates skin, muscles and tissue to reduce stress and relieve tension and pain in their patients. Swedish, or Classic Massage, is the type of massage that most people think of when discussing massage therapy, and most massage therapy schools teach it as their primary form of massage. However, there are many other types of massage that programs may or may not include within their course of instruction. Following are just a few examples.
- Neuromuscular Therapy Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Sports Massage
- Shiatsu Massage
- Thai Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
Professionals that work in massage therapy in Grady AL should be referred to as massage therapists. From time to time one may hear them called a masseuse or a masseur, which refers to a female or a male massage practitioner. However, these terms generally carry a negative connotation among the general public and professionals alike and should be avoided.
Massage Therapy Education Requirements
Most schools offering massage therapy require that the enrollee have a high school diploma or its equivalent to qualify. Programs can range in length from several months for a Certificate or a Diploma to as long as two years for an Associate’s Degree. The lengths of the programs will also vary by State based on the number of hours required for licensing. Another factor that may also influence the program length is whether classes are offered in Grady AL during the day or in the evening. Also, an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy may have general education requirements and are often transferable into a related Bachelor’s Degree Program. Once you have received your Certificate or Degree, the education does not end there. The amount and type of continuing education you will need to complete will depend on the State where you are licensed. Some states require both a certain number of hours of continuing education as well as specific education in subjects such as HIPAA compliance or ethics.
Massage Therapist Licensing
Once you have graduated from an accredited massage therapy school, you will then need to become licensed in the State where you will be practicing. The Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), is a test controlled and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and is required by most States as part of the licensing process. Some States have their own or additional exams, so check with your State prior to enrolling in a massage therapy program. If you do not pass the MBLEx in the first attempt, you can take it again after 30 days but must pay an additional exam fee. Once licensed, you will need to maintain it in most states, which means paying a renewal fee and satisfying renewal requirements. As previously mentioned, renewal typically requires a certain number of hours of continuing education be completed. And if you should move to another State, you will need to get licensed in that new State as well. Every State regulates massage therapy differently, so it is not safe to assume that you will automatically qualify for licensing. Check with your new State before moving to confirm that you meet the requirements to legally practice there.
What to Ask Massage Therapist Courses
Before you enroll in a massage therapy school, there are some important questions that you need to ask about the programs you are considering. As previously mentioned, the location of the school is important, particularly if you will be commuting to classes from Grady AL. And of course the total cost, including tuition, books and all training materials will also be an important factor. But beyond those basic qualifications, following are some questions you should ask so that you have all of the facts before selecting a massage therapist degree program.
- Is the School Accredited? Accreditation may be required for licensing as well as student loans or financial aid. It also helps to ensure that the program meets acceptable levels of quality. Some Grady AL employers also prefer job candidates from accredited schools.
- Does their Curriculum Comply with EALP Standards? Entry-Level Analysis Project (EALP) standards were created by an association of massage organizations to define minimum standards for preparing massage school graduates for entry-level professional work.
- What Massage Therapy Programs are Available? Find out if the type of program you are interested in is available, such as an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy. Also, if you need to attend evening classes near Grady AL make sure that they are offered as well.
- What Types of Massage Therapy are Taught? As previously mentioned, most massage therapy schools teach Swedish Massage. However, the better programs include multiple types of massage therapy. Make sure that the program you choose includes those you are most interested in.
- Is Financial Aid Available? To qualify for federal financial aid or a student loan, the school will need to be accredited by a national accrediting organization. Find out from the schools you are considering what they offer in aid or if they assist students in obtaining funding from other sources.
- How Long has the School Existed? One indication that a school provides a quality education is longevity. However, all schools had to start from day one, and many fine schools are relatively new. So use this as one of several qualifications when comparing schools.
- Does the School have a Job Placement Program? Find out if the schools have job placement programs and what their placement rates are. Ask if they assist with such skills as how to interview for a position and how to prepare a resume.
- Is Plenty of Hands-On Training Provided? This includes classroom training as well as placement in internship programs. The best massage therapy schools make sure that students have plenty of time to practice what they learn so they can develop their skills and be corrected when necessary.
- What is the Background of the Faculty? Find out what the experience and credentials are of the teaching faculty. Speaking with schools’ faculty in person can also provide valuable information. Before applying, arrange to take a tour of the school and talk with staff members and students if permissible. Schools may also have Open House events for prospective students.
The Best Massage Therapy Schools Grady AL
Good luck as you embark on your journey to begin a career as a professional massage therapist. As with all things worth achieving, it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed. You originally came to this website because of your interest in The Best Massage Therapy Schools and wanting to get more information on the topic Massage Therapist School Near Me. However, by following the suggestions contained within this article, you will have an excellent opportunity for success by picking the right massage therapy training program. And with the right education you will soon become a professional massage therapist servicing the Grady Alabama area.
Other Massage Therapy Locations in Alabama
Grady is an unincorporated community in Montgomery County Alabama, United States. Grady is located about 25 miles (40 km) south of Montgomery. It is at the intersection of Montgomery County Road 28 (Meriwether Trail) and Mountgomery County Road 1 (Ramer-Grady Road). The CSX railroad runs north and south through Grady. Near Grady on the Fannin Mill Rd. is the Cosmos Broadcasting Tower for WSFA Channel 12. South Montgomery County Academy, a private K-12 school is located in Grady.
A US Postal Office is in Grady. Its ZIP code is 36036. There are two rural mail routes originating from this office that serve areas within a 20-mile (32 km) radius of Grady. In the mid-1880s there was a place known as Tucker's Crossroads in the southern part of Montgomery County, Alabama. Wanting an official name for the community, the people suggested to the postal service that it be named "Bell Station" or Tucker's Crossroads. Mr. G. T. Holiday, who would become the first postmaster, received a letter from the postal authorities that the suggested names "Bell Station" and Tucker's Crossroads could not be used. Mr. Holiday having just read a book entitled the "Life of Henry W. Grady, suggested that the place be named "Grady" and the government adopted it on April 26, 1890. The railroad between Montgomery and Troy was completed in 1889 and the first train to come through what would become Grady was on July 1, 1889.
Business Results 1 - 10 of 8