How to Pick the Right Massage Therapist Degree Program near Falkville Alabama
Picking the best massage therapy school near Falkville AL is a critical first step toward starting a rewarding new career as a massage therapist. As you have no doubt concluded, who wouldn’t enjoy working in a profession where the sole purpose is to help patients feel and function better? Massage therapists are employed in a wide range of locations, such as medical clinics, health spas, hospitals and alternative care facilities. However prior to beginning a career in this specialty of alternative medicine, receiving the proper training and licensing is essential. And remember that massage therapist schools are not all the same. When evaluating your options, it’s essential that you research all facets of the schools you are reviewing and not just the cost or convenience of the locations. We will provide a few fundamental tips that you need to include in your review process when choosing a massage therapist school.
What is a Massage Therapist?
As mentioned in the introduction, massage therapy is a holistic form of healthcare in Falkville AL that helps people feel and function better. The massage therapist manipulates skin, muscles and tissue to reduce stress and relieve tension and pain in their patients. Swedish, or Classic Massage, is the type of massage that most people think of when discussing massage therapy, and most massage therapy schools teach it as their primary form of massage. However, there are many other types of massage that programs may or may not include within their course of instruction. Following are just a few examples.
- Neuromuscular Therapy Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Sports Massage
- Shiatsu Massage
- Thai Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
Professionals that work in massage therapy in Falkville AL should be referred to as massage therapists. From time to time one may hear them called a masseuse or a masseur, which refers to a female or a male massage practitioner. However, these terms generally carry a negative connotation among the general public and professionals alike and should be avoided.
Massage Therapy Training Requirements
Most schools offering massage therapy require that the enrollee have a high school diploma or its equivalent to qualify. Programs can range in length from several months for a Certificate or a Diploma to as long as two years for an Associate’s Degree. The lengths of the programs will also vary by State based on the number of hours required for licensing. Another factor that may also influence the program length is whether classes are offered in Falkville AL during the day or in the evening. Also, an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy may have general education requirements and are often transferable into a related Bachelor’s Degree Program. Once you have received your Certificate or Degree, the education does not end there. The amount and type of continuing education you will need to complete will depend on the State where you are licensed. Some states require both a certain number of hours of continuing education as well as specific education in subjects such as HIPAA compliance or ethics.
Massage Therapist Licensing
Once you have graduated from an accredited massage therapy school, you will then need to become licensed in the State where you will be practicing. The Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), is a test controlled and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and is required by most States as part of the licensing process. Some States have their own or additional exams, so check with your State prior to enrolling in a massage therapy program. If you do not pass the MBLEx in the first attempt, you can take it again after 30 days but must pay an additional exam fee. Once licensed, you will need to maintain it in most states, which means paying a renewal fee and satisfying renewal requirements. As previously mentioned, renewal typically requires a certain number of hours of continuing education be completed. And if you should move to another State, you will need to get licensed in that new State as well. Every State regulates massage therapy differently, so it is not safe to assume that you will automatically qualify for licensing. Check with your new State before moving to confirm that you meet the requirements to legally practice there.
What to Ask Massage Therapist Programs
Before you choose a massage therapy program, there are some important questions that you need to ask about the programs you are considering. As previously mentioned, the location of the school is important, particularly if you will be commuting to classes from Falkville AL. And of course the total cost, including tuition, books and all training materials will also be an important factor. But beyond those basic qualifications, following are some questions you should ask so that you have all of the facts before choosing a massage therapy degree program.
- Is the School Accredited? Accreditation may be required for licensing as well as student loans or financial aid. It also helps to ensure that the program meets acceptable levels of quality. Some Falkville AL employers also prefer job candidates from accredited schools.
- Does their Curriculum Comply with EALP Standards? Entry-Level Analysis Project (EALP) standards were created by an association of massage organizations to define minimum standards for preparing massage school graduates for entry-level professional work.
- What Massage Therapy Programs are Available? Find out if the type of program you are interested in is available, such as an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy. Also, if you need to attend evening classes near Falkville AL make sure that they are offered as well.
- What Types of Massage Therapy are Taught? As previously mentioned, most massage therapy schools teach Swedish Massage. However, the better programs include multiple types of massage therapy. Make sure that the program you choose includes those you are most interested in.
- Is Financial Aid Available? To qualify for federal financial aid or a student loan, the school will need to be accredited by a national accrediting organization. Find out from the schools you are considering what they offer in aid or if they assist students in obtaining funding from other sources.
- How Long has the School Existed? One indication that a school provides a quality education is longevity. However, all schools had to start from day one, and many fine schools are relatively new. So use this as one of several qualifications when comparing schools.
- Does the School have a Job Placement Program? Find out if the schools have job placement programs and what their placement rates are. Ask if they assist with such skills as how to interview for a position and how to prepare a resume.
- Is Plenty of Hands-On Training Provided? This includes classroom training as well as placement in internship programs. The best massage therapy schools make sure that students have plenty of time to practice what they learn so they can develop their skills and be corrected when necessary.
- What is the Background of the Faculty? Find out what the experience and credentials are of the teaching faculty. Speaking with schools’ faculty in person can also provide valuable information. Before applying, arrange to take a tour of the school and talk with staff members and students if permissible. Schools may also have Open House events for prospective students.
Massage Therapy School Length Falkville AL
Good luck as you embark on your journey to begin a career as a professional massage therapist. As with all things worth achieving, it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed. You originally came to this website because of your interest in Massage Therapy School Length and wanting to get more information on the topic Accredited Massage Therapy Programs. However, by following the suggestions contained within this article, you will have an excellent opportunity for success by choosing the right massage therapy training program. And with the right education you will soon become a professional massage therapist servicing the Falkville Alabama area.
Other Massage Therapy Locations in Alabama
Falkville is a town in Morgan County, Alabama, United States and is included in the Huntsville-Decatur metropolitan areas. As of the 2010 census, the population of the town was 1,279, up from 1,202 in 2000.
Falkville was named for Louis M. Falk, a Prussian merchant who emigrated to the area in the late 1850s. Falk opened a general store in what is now Falkville in 1859, and later became the town's first postmaster. The L&N Railroad was constructed through Falkville in the early 1870s, and a rail station opened in 1872.
Falkville is located at 34°22′19″N 86°54′30″W / 34.37194°N 86.90833°W / 34.37194; -86.90833 (34.371919, -86.908381). The town is concentrated along U.S. Route 31 south of Hartselle. Interstate 65 passes through eastern part of town.
Business Results 1 - 10 of 26
Bing: Alabama Massage Therapy Schools Search results
Types of Strokes in Massage Therapy - Study.com
for Teachers for Schools for Working Scholars ... Strokes in Massage Therapy: True or False Activity. ... Alabama Pearson CNA Test: Training & Practice
State Regulations | AMTA - American Massage Therapy Association
Find information about massage therapy regulations by state and massage therapy licenses and licensing requirements. ... Alabama. enacted 1996. Alaska. enacted 2014. Arizona. enacted 2003. Arkansas. enacted 1951. California. enacted 2008. ... massage students and schools, AMTA invests membership dollars in advocacy and promotion of the health ...
AMTA | American Massage Therapy Association
Massage therapy has numerous benefits for many health conditions. Explore the massage/health connection and see how you can help your clients with a variety of medical challenges. ... Schools. Discover the tools and resources you need to strengthen your school, broaden your reach and set your faculty and students up for success. New Benefit ...
31-9011.00 - Massage Therapists - O*NET OnLine
O*NET OnLine provides detailed descriptions of the world-of-work for use by job seekers, workforce development and HR professionals, students, developers, researchers, and more. Individuals can find, search, or browse across 900+ occupations based on their goals and needs. Comprehensive reports include occupation requirements, worker characteristics, and available training, education, and job ...
Microsoft takes the gloves off as it battles Sony for its Activision ...
Microsoft pleaded for its deal on the day of the Phase 2 decision last month, but now the gloves are well and truly off. Microsoft describes the CMA’s concerns as “misplaced” and says that ...
NFL News | Latest NFL Football News | NFL.com
The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.
Accredited Massage Therapy Schools Near Me - LMT Programs
Accredited schools have financial aid assistance for students who qualify. "Massage therapy students will take courses in kinesiology, which is the study of motion and mechanics of the human body; pathology, history of massage, laws and regulations ..., different types of massage such as Swedish, hot stone, sports, deep tissue, prenatal, and more."
Governor Newsom Signs Sweeping Climate Measures, Ushering in New Era of ...
Establishes a setback distance of 3,200 feet between any new oil well and homes, schools, parks or businesses open to the public. Ensures comprehensive pollution controls for existing oil wells within 3,200 feet of these facilities.
COVID-19 Related Emergency Actions of State Agencies | Alabama ...
Alabama Board of Massage Therapy. April 10, 2020---Emergency Authority of the Executive Director During COVID-19 State of Emergency; Alabama Board of Medical Examiners. August 18, 2021---Applicants for Emergency Certificate of Qualification by Endorsement; August 18, 2021---Appllcants for Emergency License to Practice as a Physician Assistant
U.S. News | Latest National News, Videos & Photos - ABC News - ABC News
A 7-year-old Texas girl has been found dead two days after being reported missing, and a FedEx driver who made a delivery to her home shortly before she disappeared was arrested in her death